Dr. Christelle Baunez is a neurobiologist at Aix-Marseille University.
#41: Christelle Baunez – The role of the subthalamic nucleus in brain stimulation
In this intriguing dialogue with Dr. Christelle Baunez, a neurobiologist at Aix-Marseille University, we discuss a mysterious and small structure, the subthalamic nucleus. Christelle is known as the STN woman in France, due to her dedication to study this structure over the years. Christelle is a pioneer in the side effects related to STN stimulation in Parkinson Disease patients. Now, she is working towards understanding how STN stimulation can help people with addiction. We cover, with an historical perspective how STN became an interesting brain stimulation target, their advantages and disadvantages of its stimulation, side effects related, its connectivity and current and future applications. In addition, we discuss some of her recent fully unpublish experiments, like STN stimulation in cocaine addicted macaques and beyond. We also cover Christelle’s advocacy for animal research and its important role to push the boundaries of neuroscience. Finally, Christelle shares her passion for photography and how STN should be included in the reward circuit. This conversation was an incredible learning experience for me, and I believe it will be for you too. Thank you so much for tuning in – for this round episode number 41 of stimulating brains!
Pacheco, Niels; Taha, Alaa; Horn, Andreas (2023). #41: Christelle Baunez – The role of the subthalamic nucleus in brain stimulation. figshare. Media. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.24247408.v1
References and Links:
- Terenzi, Damiano, Nicolas Simon, Michael Joe Munyua Gachomba, Jeanne Laure de Peretti, Bruno Nazarian, Julien Sein, Jean-Luc Anton, Didier Grandjean, Christelle Baunez, and Thierry Chaminade. 2023. “Social Context and Drug Cues Modulate Inhibitory Control in Cocaine Addiction: Involvement of the STN Evidenced through Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.” bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2023.09.06.556336.
- Voon, Valerie, Pierre-Olivier Fernagut, Jeff Wickens, Christelle Baunez, Manuel Rodriguez, Nancy Pavon, Jorge L. Juncos, José A. Obeso, and Erwan Bezard. 2009. “Chronic Dopaminergic Stimulation in Parkinson’s Disease: From Dyskinesias to Impulse Control Disorders.” Lancet Neurology 8 (12): 1140–49. Chronic dopaminergic stimulation in Parkinson’s disease: from dyskinesias to impulse control disorders – The Lancet Neurology
- Baunez, Christelle, and Sylvie Lardeux. 2011. “Frontal Cortex-like Functions of the Subthalamic Nucleus.” Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience 5 (October): 83. Frontal Cortex-Like Functions of the Subthalamic Nucleus – PMC (nih.gov)
- Rouaud, Tiphaine, Sylvie Lardeux, Nicolas Panayotis, Dany Paleressompoulle, Martine Cador, and Christelle Baunez. 2010. “Reducing the Desire for Cocaine with Subthalamic Nucleus Deep Brain Stimulation.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107 (3): 1196–1200. Reducing the desire for cocaine with subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation | PNAS
- Book – The Hidden Life of the Basal Ganglia: At the Base of Brain and Mind by Hagai Berman Amazon.com: The Hidden Life of the Basal Ganglia: At the Base of Brain and Mind eBook : Bergman, Hagai: Tienda Kindle
- Book Subconsciousness: Automatic Behavior and the Brain Amazon.com: Subconsciousness: Automatic Behavior and the Brain eBook : Agid, Yves: Tienda Kindle
Some pictures that Dr. Christelle Baunez shared with us after the meeting!